You’re an expert in your field. We are too.
Professionally written resumes, cover letters, and associated documents play a key role in successfully finding, gaining, and (believe it or not) retaining new employment. Ensure you’re representing yourself in the best possible light. Hire a professional.
What a Professional Resume Writer Can Do For You
The answer is simple—they author documents that market you to potential employers. Professional resume writers are not just typesetters—their real skill and expertise is defining, positioning, and promoting your job skills and ultimately your career.
Here are just a few ways a resume writer can help:
- Inside Perspective: A good resume writer knows what today’s recruiters and hiring managers want—and don't want—to see in a resume.
- Resume Strategy: A meticulous resume writer will make sure your career objective and unique value proposition are explicitly stated and seek to shape your work experience such that it is written and formatted to underscore these criteria.
- Data Generation: An experienced resume writer can help you prepare for the interview process while building resume content by asking insightful questions to uncover and reframe your accomplishments and job duties.
- Compelling Content: An astute writer is aware of industry-specific keywords that are searched by scanning software as well as HR screeners.
- Language Expertise: A skilled writer has in-depth knowledge of grammar, structure, and style so you don’t have to worry about typos, misspellings, and grammatical errors.
How to Choose and Engage a Professional Resume Writer
There are hundreds of resume writers who are qualified to write your resume. It’s important to take the time to find one that matches your personality, needs, industry, and career objectives.
- Contact the writer via telephone and get a feel for his/her knowledge and expertise. Some writers will focus solely on resumes. Others may provide additional services such as job coaching, career counseling, outplacement, college advising, or resume distribution.
- Ask about his/her background and training, and how he/she stays abreast of changes in the employment industry.
- Have the writer explain his/her resume development process. You may be asked to fill out questionnaires, talk on the phone for an hour or more, and/or do some revising yourself.
- Choose a professional who belongs to a valid industry organization. The NRWA, established in 1997, is the premier organization for education in the field of resume writing.
- Consider selecting a certified resume writer. These writers have passed multifaceted exams in resume mechanics, strategy, and formatting to obtain such credentials.
- NCRW - Nationally Certified Resume Writer
- CPRW - Certified Professional Resume Writer
- CRW - Certified Resume Writer
- CJSS - Certified Job Search Strategist
- CCM - Credentialed Career Master
- CEIC - Certified Employment Interview Consultant
- JCTC - Certified Job and Career Transition Coach
- CCMC - Certified Career Management Coach
Get Started on Your Search for a Professional Resume Writer
You’re one click away from a searchable database filled with qualified writers in your area, and even specializing in your field. Begin your search now to start consulting with one of our members about revitalizing your job search.